A Fitter and Turner in the Aerospace industry is responsible for fitting and turning metal components that are used in aircraft and related equipment. They use specialised equipment such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders to shape and finish metal parts. They work from technical drawings, instructions, and blueprints to ensure that components meet exact specifications.
- Read and interpret technical drawings, blueprints, and schematics to identify necessary materials and parts.
- Use precision measurement tools to measure and verify the accuracy of finished parts.
- Operate machinery such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders to shape and finish metal parts to exact specifications.
- Assemble and test components to ensure they meet required standards.
- Troubleshoot and diagnose problems with machinery and equipment.
- Maintain machinery and tools to ensure they are in good working condition.
- Follow safety procedures and protocols to minimize risk of injury.
- Knowledge of machinery and equipment used in metalworking, such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders.
- Ability to read and interpret technical drawings, blueprints, and schematics.
- Precision and attention to detail in measuring and finishing metal parts.
- Strong problem-solving skills to troubleshoot and diagnose problems with machinery and equipment.
- Good communication skills to work with others in a team environment.
- Physical dexterity and strength to operate machinery and lift heavy parts.
- Detail oriented.
- Safety conscious.
- Team player.
A Fitter and Turner in the Aerospace industry is responsible for shaping and finishing metal components used in aircraft and related equipment. They use specialized equipment and tools to ensure that parts meet exact specifications. To be successful in this role, individuals must possess strong technical skills, attention to detail, and good problem-solving abilities. They should also be patient, safety-conscious, and able to work well in a team environment. Relevant vocational training and certification are required to become a Fitter and Turner, and experience in a related field is preferred.
Boston City Campus and Business College does not offer a programme that leads directly to this occupation. Please take a look at the related occupations below to see whether any of these appeal to you. Alternately, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and a Student Advisor will call you back.