Insurance agents sell policies to individuals and businesses to provide protection against future losses and/or financial pressures. Agents must analyse the needs of their clients and help them plan appropriate protection.
Insurance protection may be for a motorcar, home, business or other property for protection of a family if the breadwinner dies, or for protection against hospital and medical costs. Insurance agents also help their clients to obtain claim settlements.
Areas of specialisation include:
- Life Insurance
- Property (fire and damage) insurance
- Motor and liability (theft, personal, casualty and third party) insurance
In addition, they provide follow-up services to keep their clients’ insurance programmes up-to-date. They give advice on adding to or amending existing policies.
Insurance agents work indoors, usually in their own offices. Agents also travel to the offices or homes of their clients.
- mature and balanced personality
- ambitious, enthusiastic and motivated
- a real interest in people and get along well with others
- convincing and self-disciplined and work well without supervision
- good health and physical stamina
- neat, well-groomed appearance
- good communication skills
- insurance companies and brokers
- self-employed, as freelance agent or insurance broker
- try to secure holiday work in an insurance company to gain sales experience
- arrange to speak to insurance agents to find out about this type of career
Boston City Campus and Business College does not offer a programme that leads directly to this occupation. Please take a look at the related occupations below to see whether any of these appeal to you. Alternately, please send an email to email@example.com and a Student Advisor will call you back.