A teller works for a bank or building society.
The main responsibility of the teller is to receive and pay out money and process the accompanying documentation. This entails a combination of any of the following tasks:
- receiving cash and cheques for deposit;
- verifying amounts;
- examining cheques for endorsements;
- processing transactions electronically;
- cashing cheques and paying out money on verification of signatures and customer balances;
- processing credit card payments;
- cashing foreign exchange and traveller's cheques.
When the bank closes for business at the end of the day, the teller has to balance up the day's transactions.
- ability to work accurately with figures (branch personnel)
- ability to understand financial matters (senior and executive officers)
- enjoy working with the public
- ability to maintain pleasant public relations, internally as well as with the public
- empathy and good communication skills
- ability to concentrate and work well under pressure
- integrity and exemplary behaviour at all times
- trustworthy, dependable and honest
Banks and building societies
Boston City Campus and Business College does not offer a programme that leads directly to this occupation. Please take a look at the related occupations below to see whether any of these appeal to you. Alternately, please send an email to email@example.com and a Student Advisor will call you back.